Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 15–20 minutes
This creamy dish is ideal for lacto-ovo vegetarians, but can be enjoyed by everyone. A mornay is a versatile dish that can be used in several ways. Substitute 300g of canned salmon or tuna for the omega-3 eggs or a combination of your favourite vegetables.
- 6 omega-3 eggs, boiled and halved
- 30g canola margarine or spread
- 50g leeks
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1½ cups low-fat or skim milk
- ¼ cup reduced-fat grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or any unsweetened mustard
- 100g canned, drained corn
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat grated cheddar cheese (for topping)
- Sprinkle the eggs with a little salt and pepper and arrange in a rectangular ovenproof dish with the yolk facing downwards.
- Melt canola spread in a pan and sauté the leeks on medium heat.
- Add the flour gradually stirring continuously.
- Take off heat and stir in the milk gradually.
- Return to heat stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat, and add the grated cheese, mustard, corn, salt and pepper, stirring gently until the cheese is melted.
- Pour Mornay sauce over eggs. Top with the breadcrumb-cheese mixture and bake in a moderate oven, about 180°C/350°F for 15–20 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Serving suggestion: baked potato, sweet potato/pumpkin and broccoli, crusty bread rolls.