Chickpea and Lentil Soup
- ½ tablespoon canola or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 200g (7 oz) of dry red lentils
- 1 x 400g (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon powdered coriander
- 2 teaspoons powdered cumin
- 1 x 400g (14 oz) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- ½–1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the onions in the oil until translucent.
- Add the garlic and ginger and continue stirring for another minute.
- Add the lentils, crushed tomato, stock and spices. Bring to the boil and then simmer gently for about 20 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and cook for a further 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Blend the soup, leaving some texture or enjoy unblended with whole chickpeas.
- Serve on its own at lunch time or include some steamed greens and grilled tomatoes at the evening meal.
Nutritional value per serve for 6 people:
Energy: 184 kilocalories or 771 kilojoules