Carrot and Zucchini Fritters
These delicious fritters can be eaten for breakfast by the whole family or given to the kids when they return home hungry after school. It’s a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies.
Makes 8 small fritters
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup skim or low-fat milk
- 1 omega-3 egg or regular egg
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup grated zucchini (courgettes)*
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and mix together.
- Make a ‘well’ in the centre and add the milk, egg, carrot and zucchini. Season with lemon pepper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large non-stick pan on a medium heat. Turn down the heat to low and drop 4 heaped tablespoons of the batter mixture into the
pan taking care not to overcrowd the pan. Flatten slightly and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Wipe the pan, add the next teaspoon of oil and cook the remaining mixture – making another 4 fritters.
- Serve on its own, with a dollop of Herbed Cottage Cheese or Tomato Relish.
*Squeeze out any excess liquid, after grating the zucchini/courgettes.
Nutritional value per serve(on its own):
Energy: 230 calories or 966 kilojoules