Beef and Vegetable Stir Fry
This simple family dish is a complete meal in itself. You can substitute lean chicken stir fry strips for the beef to make a ‘Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry’ or you could use prawns (shrimp) or pork.
- 2 teaspoons (½ tablespoon) oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons (½ tablespoon) canola oil
- 600g (1 lb 5oz) lean beef, cut into strips or stir fry strips
- 2 spring onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2½ cups (225g or 8 oz) Broccoli florets
- 1 medium carrot, sliced using a potato peeler
- 1 medium capsicum, sliced
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2½ tablespoons oyster sauce
- 400g (14 oz) cooked noodles, e.g. Hokkien or Udon
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- Marinate the beef for as long as possible in the oyster sauce.
- Microwave the broccoli for about 3 minutes or until just cooked.
- Heat half the oil in a large wok stir and stir fry the beef until browned. Remove from the wok and set aside.
- Wipe the wok, heat the remaining oil and stir fry the spring onions, garlic and ginger, taking care not to let them burn.
- Add the capsicum, broccoli, cabbage and carrot in that order. Then add the oyster and soy sauces and return the beef to the wok. Keep stir-frying. Add the noodles and continue stir-frying.
- Finally add the bean sprouts. Stir and turn off the heat.
Nutritional value per serve:
Energy: 387 calories or 1621 kilojoules