Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25–30 minutes
- 1½ cups raw rice, e.g. Basmati
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed oil, canola oil or canola margarine/spread
- 1 small onion finely chopped (about 25g)
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 3 cardamom pods, bruised
- 3 cloves
- 4½ cm (2 inch) cinnamon stick
- (You can substitute powdered mixed spices if desired, although they won’t taste as good)
- ½ teaspoon powdered turmeric
- 3 cups water
- 1 small stock cube
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup corn kernels
- 60g cashew nuts, lightly toasted
- 60g sultanas or raisins
- Wash rice and leave it to drain in a sieve for as long as possible (ideally 30 minutes).
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onions. Then add the garlic, ginger and spices and fry gently for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice until well coated with the spiced oil. Add water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to very low heat immediately, cover pan and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the frozen vegetables, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and allow to stand for about 5 minutes.
- Uncover saucepan, fluff rice with fork and stir in the toasted nuts and sultanas or raisins. Remove spices before serving.